A personal blog by M.B. Mosaid, Ph.D.


Make your own Myspace Crazy Text at CommentYou.com

Cheapest talk of the week!

There is a guy. His favorite bar is called 'Sally's Legs'. The bar is closed, so he waits outside for it to open. He was waiting a long time and a cop got suspicious, came over to him, and asked, "What are you doing?" The guy replies, "I'm waiting for 'Sally's Legs' to open so I can get in.."
===================================================

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Meeting My Grand-Daughter for the First Time!

It was one of the longest waiting in my life!

Several thoughts had been playing in my mind as I eagerly (and patiently) wait for our eldest son's coming home from far away Cagayan Valley, Region 2, Northern Luzon.

First, when will I see him after being away for four years? Second, what does he have for us when he arrives home from far away Tuguegarao City? Is there anything that had changed in him after all these years?

My wife, Jasmine, was all set to attend the graduation of our eldest son in Cagayan Colleges Tuguegarao (CCT). She was determined to go come what may, for she could no longer bear not see his favorite son. And so, she left Cotabato City for Manila on March 29, 2008.

The trip to Tuguegarao from Manila was not easy. First, you have to traverse long, winding mountainous road whether you go via (1) Bulacan-Pampanga-Cavite-Pangasinan-Nueva Ecija-Isabela route or (2) Bulacan-Pampanga-Cavite-Pangasinan-Benguet-Mt. Province route or (3) Bulacan-Pampanga-Cavite-Pangasinan-La Union-Ilocos Sur-Ilocos Norte route. Second, it was more difficult for all of them were first-timers on any of the three routes. For a non-tourist like my wife and the rest of the group, taking a map with them was not among the preparations. And so, they had to rely on my guidance straight from my room in Cotabato City as I guided them through the map of Northern Luzon.

At last they reached Tuguegarao City after that long exasperating trip! My wife was teary-eyed upon seeing our eldest son after four years of being away. I can imagine the feeling of relief that she had. Then the biggest surprise of her life came when she was presented with her 'apo' - a beautiful granddaughter, who is almost two years old. She was not only teary-eyed this time but she begun to sob for reasons probably known only to her. And I refuse to guess them or make any conjectures though I have my own feelings about it but they are best kept to myself only. What else could she do but accept everything as it is, as it has been, and as it will be.

They took the 1st route to Tuguegarao which took them 11 hours on the road, and went back to Manila via the 3rd route which lasted for 15 hours.

My wife's group reached back Manila on the 3rd of April 2008 at past 8:00 in the morning. I was expecting that they go by plane to Cotabato City on the 5th so we could celebrate the 2nd birthday of our 'apo' on the exact date that she was born. But things just didn't turn out as planned. All planes were fully-booked to Cotabato City till the 6th, and so they had no choice but to go back to Cotabato City by plane via Davao on the 6th which took another more than four hours on the road. Oh, what a trip! And it could had been so boring had it not been for the fact that our 'apo' was with them all the way from Tuguegarao.

And you know what "apo's" mean to grand-parents. I told Milyn, our son's fiancee, that she has nothing to worry about. I assured her that grand-parents are real spoilers of 'apos'. And I think she was comforted a bit. Had she not agreed that my wife take our 'apo' with her back home, I would not really force the issue. I fully understand how mothers feel for their children.
At last, our 'apo' arrived home in Cotabato City on the 6th at past 2:00 in the afternoon. As expected nobody could get hold of her, not even my wife who I had presumed had enough confidence-building time with our 'apo' from the time that they were together in Tuguegarao to the time that they had been stranded in Manila up till they arrived in Cotabato City.

A few minutes more and there were already some people gathered in the house as we are prepared to celebrate the second birthday of our'apo'. She seemed not quite exposed to people as she kept holding on to her Dad whereever he goes. The farthest that her Dad could get away from her is not more than one arm-length (our apo's arm).

I had my own strategy of how to win her confidence almost instantly. I found the chance when she was asking for water. I gave her water and made her drink. Then, asked her to make 'mano' which she did without an iota of hesitation. "Now I got you", I said. Minutes later, I was able to lift her in my arms and pose for some picture-taking infront of the house. (The picture that you see right here). Next, we went to the sari-sari store just across to buy some 'chicheria' or 'junk foods'. Till then, I am the next best person that can get hold of her, aside from her Dad.

Now, I believe, first impression is lasting. And the first acquaintance really matters. We love our dear 'apo'. All of us would only want the best for her. Nothing less! Ahlan wa sahlan dear 'apo'.

5 comments:

Cat (Gladys Tordil) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cat (Gladys Tordil) said...

Mau-

I saw the photos of your kids from friendster and none of them looked exactly like you. They're all a bit of you and jas - mixed profiles ba. But this one I can predict how she would look like fifty something years from now, HAHAHAHAHA!!! Kaswerte sa bata, carbon copy ang ka gwaffo ni lolo... pero sus, dili raba lalim ma gwaffa!

Anonymous said...

Wew..! Nangli^li^ diay gihapon ka aning kwartoha Cat??

Ay agri.. dili gyud lalim ma gwaffa.. kay samok kaayo.. may pa average lang ka ka-gwaffa..

This is the product of extreme poginess Cat.. matud pa ni RG.

reyna elena said...

brother!

ikaw ba yan?! hahaha! I added you already on my hitlist hahaha!!!

www.reynaelena.com

Pres. MAU said...

Ingat ka rin Sistah Reynz ha!!

Pwede rin kita tirahin sa blogs mooow..

rEGARDS..Really I like your blogsite.. YOu're naturally a good chatterbox anyway.. hehehe!!